Changes to Post Primary School Transport Scheme
Transport Liaison Officers:
The role of the Transport Liaison Officer ceased on the 31st December 2011.
Applications for Post Primary School Transport:
Applications for Post Primary School Transport for the 2012/13 school year, for new pupils, should be submitted to your local Bus Éireann office. A revised Post Primary School Transport Scheme has been finalised and is published on the Department of Education and Skills and Bus Éireann websites (See Below).
The application form for post primary pupils is available on the Bus Éireann website; this form may be downloaded or completed online. It will only be necessary to submit an application for new pupils or pupils transferring from primary school as Bus Éireann hold details of existing post primary pupils on their ticketing system; these existing pupils will receive an invoice for the 2012/13 school year in the normal manner.
Changes Introduced for the 2011/12 school year
A number of changes to the Post Primary School Transport Scheme came into effect from the beginning of this school year (2011/12). Included in these changes is an increase to ten in the minimum number of eligible pupils from a distinct locality, as determined by Bus Éireann, required to establish/retain a school transport service. The annual charge per pupil was increased to €350 but the family maximum remains at €650 per annum. Eligible pupils holding valid medical cards (GMS Scheme) continue to be exempt from paying this charge.
From the commencement of the 2012/13 school year, the use of the Catchment Area (CA) System as a means of determining eligibility will cease for all pupils newly entering a post primary school.
- ¨ From the 2012/13 school year, school transport eligibility for all pupils newly entering a post primary school will be determined by reference to the distance they reside from their nearest Post-Primary Education Centre having regard to ethos and language.
- ¨ To be considered eligible for school transport, pupils must reside not less than 4.8 kilometres from and be attending their nearest Post-Primary Education Centre, as determined by the Department and Bus Éireann, having regard to ethos and language.
- ¨ Pupils who are not eligible for school transport, under the above criteria, may apply for transport on a concessionary basis subject to a number of terms and conditions. Pupils availing of transport on a concessionary basis must pay the annual charge and they will not count for the establishment or retention of a service.
Pupils currently availing of school transport:
In general, eligible pupils who are currently availing of school transport and who meet the distance criterion of 4.8 kilometres will continue to be eligible for school transport provided their circumstances do not change. In some cases siblings of these pupils who are enrolled in the same school for the 2012/13 school year may not be eligible for school transport (see above); these siblings may apply for transport on a concessionary basis.
Further information or additional clarification may be obtained by contacting your local Bus Éireann www.buseireann.ie office or School Transport Section, Department of Education & Skills www.education.ie.
Bus Eireann and Post Primary School Contact Numbers:
For the following Schools please contact Bus Éireann, Limerick (061) 217484
- Cashel Community School: (062) 61167
- St. Ailbe's Tipperary Town: (062) 51905
- St. Anne's Tipperary Town: (065) 51747
- CBS The Abbey Tipperary Town: (062) 52299
For the following Schools please contact Bus Éireann, Waterford (051) 873401
- Coláiste Chluain Meala, Clonmel: (052) 612 1450
- Gaelcholáiste Chéitinn, Cluain Meala: (052) 612 6269
- Presentation Secondary School, Clonmel: (052) 612 3587
- Loreto Secondary School, Clonmel: (052) 612 1402
- High School, Clonmel: (052) 612 4459
- Comeragh College, Carrick-on-Suir: (051) 640131
- Scoil Mhuire, Carrick-on-Suir: (051) 640383
- C.B.S, Carrick-on-Suir: (051) 640512
- Coláiste Dún Iascaigh, Cahir: (052) 744 2828
- Scoil Ruain, Killenaule: (052) 915 6332
- Presentation Secondary Ballingarry: (052) 915 4104
- Patrician/Presentation Secondary School, Fethard: (052) 613 1572